Here is the scenario.
I had my Windows 8 x64 desktop with App-V 5.0 SP2 installed and had added Hotfix 5. All was well.
I upgraded to Windows 8.1. Current packages continued working fine. Decided to add another package. I received error C8007005 on Add-AppVClientPackage. After researching and trying some things, I eventually tried an old package that worked elsewhere and got the same error. I even removed an existing, working, package and found that adding it generated the same error.
In a situation like this, you just want to remove the App-V client and start over. So I did the following:
- Ensured that no virtual apps were running (e.g: explorer)
- Ran a “Repair” operation on all published apps
- UnPublished and removed all apps.
- Uninstalled the App-V client (using Programs and Features)
- Followed Nick Kallen’s list of additional stuff to remove
- Rebooted again, just for fun
I then attempted to install 5.0 SP2 Client again. The Installer refused because a newer version was present already . Confused, I checked Programs and Features again and made sure it wasn’t present. It wasn’t. Eventually, I realized that the component to be removed is the hotfix. So in “Programs and Features” I selected the “View Installed Updates” link on the left side of the dialog. And this is what I found:
Removing the hotfix allowed the installs (SP2 and HF5) to happen, and everything worked out dandy.