|Type:||Licensed with free trial||MSIX Download||AppInstaller Download (with updates)|
|Version:||188.8.131.52||June 25, 2022||Download MSIX file from here.||
See note below about AppInstaller.
Includes the following programs:
TMEditX is a tool for editing MSIX Packages to inject the Package Support Framework and improve Application Compatibility. It comes with two additional tools.
TmMsixDeploy is a tool to help with the testing of MSIX packages and is included.
TMPsfParseDebugLog is a tool to parse the detailed log produced by the debug build of the PSF.
Best-of-breed tools for MSIX Packaging.
- TMEditX is a standalone MSIX Package Editor that analyzes the original intent of the MSI/EXE installer and provides the highest level of application compatibility available under MSIX, what we call "High Fidelity"
- TmMsixDeploy is a tool for Editing and installing/uninstalling MSIX packages, Deploying AppInstaller files, creating/deploying SharedPackageContainers, and more. It is the perfect companion to TMEditX so that you may test and debug in a single package.
- TMPsfParseDebugLog is a purpose-built tool to parse the output captured by DebugView when the debug build of the PSF is injected into a package.
Use the Microsoft MSIX Packaging Tool for what it is good at -- capturing the intent of the installer and producing a basic MSIX package. Then use TMEditX to diagnose and improve your package.
ABOUT DOWNLOAD FORMATS:
- The MSIX file will install the designated version and never check for updates.
- The AppInstaller file will install the latest MSIX package from our server, and then watch for updates and silently update the product as new versions are released. It uses both the OnLaunch and AutomaticBackground style detections and is set to not interfere with the user or prompt them for the installation. NOTE: In January 2022 Microsoft disabled the protocol handler used to distribute via an AppInstaller file. You may now override this feature in the OS manually. But realistically, just manually download and install using the MSIX file is what we recommend.
Version 184.108.40.206 Includes the following changes:
- Upgrade: This release uses an updated code-signing certificate, which due to changes in the Certificate Authority industry makes this package un-upgradable over the previous. You should first run the old version (2.3) and use the feature to export your existing configuration (on the File->Options screen), then uninstall the old version, install the new version, and import the old configuration. You will need to re-register the version using the registration key you received originally.
- Fixes: Includes all fixes from PSF v2022.08.05 releases to increase application compatibility. This includes:
- Incorporate platform changes per Microsoft across the board to help deal with CLR issues.
- FileRedirectionFixup: Add PathRedirectonV2 fix for DeVFS calculation. This allows the app to request file operations with paths under VFS folders of the package to also deal with the native folders (especially for the new exclusions).
- FileRedirectionFixup: Allow Copy and Rename fixups to handle empty redirected destinations and sources only in redirected area.
- FileRedirectionFixup: Added support for AppVPackageDrive files.
- Renumber debug instance starting numbers for improved clarity when debugging. FRF=0, PsfRuntime=10K, DynLib=30k, Env=40k, RegLeg=50k.
- Fixes: Includes all fixes from PSD v2022.-7.10 release. This includes:
- Fix DynamicLibraryFixup to allow for mixed cases in call by app.
- Fix for CreateFile when request is to the redirected area directly and file either exists already there or the request was to CREATE_ALWAYS.
- Fix DeleteDirectory to allow deletion of redirected directory (even though the package folder will still be present).
- WIP: Add intercepts for many ucrtbased (POSIX) file system calls.
The code is currenly defined out, and would only intercept, and log (debug build only), and call the original function if enabled.
This was an attempt to determine if some of these functions skip the kernel32 library and jump under our intercepts there.
Ultimately conditionally compiled these out as they A) Didn't intercept for some reason. B) Were determined to not be needed.
- Added intercept for ReadDirectoryChangesW and ReadDirectoryChangesExW that only log the calls.
Until we find an app that requires modification, this is the next best thing.
- Feature: Add detection of an internal AppInstaller file and offer removal.
- Feature: Added support for Win32Dependencies/ExternalDependency in the AppXManifest schema.
- Feature: Detect situations where modifiableApp/mutablePackageDirectories might be used instead of the FRF and offer this as an alternative fix.
- Change: If a package is open and you click on the File tab, it should default to the Save subtab as you probably wanted that.
- Change: Increased list of VFS package folders used during analysis for files requiring FRF for visibility.
- Change: Detect AppVPackageDrive folders and automatically add to the FileRedirectionFixup configuration as PackageDriveRelative if present.
- Change: Ordered the displayed list of reasons you need the PSF for better clarity.
- Fix: Add VFS\Fonts to the Json FRF Config list of excluded folders if there are no non-font files in that folder of the package.
Version 220.127.116.11 Includes the following changes:
TMEditX Fixes: Includes all fixes from PSF v2022.06.08 releases to increase application compatibility. This includes:
- PsfLauncher now has option to exclude console apps from dll injection.
- PsfRuntime added AddDllDirectory and SetDllDirectory intercepts. Currently this is only for debug logging until we determine the need.
- An FRF fix for redirection paths containing forward slashes instead of backslash (CreateDirectory) as well as grandparent path triming.
- Improved RegLegacy Debug logging until virtual registry fix in OS arrives.
- June improvements documented in this post: https://www.tmurgent.com/TmBlog/wp-admin/post.php?post=3444
- Feature: Add right-click to Files tab on folders that dynamially adds an "add LoaderSearchOrder" to the manifest.
- Feature: Add buttons to export/import list of exclusions to xml file on the File/Options screen.
- Feature: Added SkipEnvVar and SkipDynDll options to command line parameters for automation.
- Feature: Added new option in the PsfLauncher config that adds any console exes to the json.config processes list without fixups (not enabled by default).
- Feature: Added new tab "Exes" that shows analysis of any EXE file in the package. Also added a button to patch an exe to increase the StackReserveSpace.
- Change: Reordered the tabs in the main display.
- Change: When starting the PsfEditor, removed RegLegacyFixups as an automatic default in the Psf Configuration Editing window. Some apps need it (and we can't detect that they do without running the app), but it turns out it isn't save for certain .net apps.
- Fix: for AppPath for dll and exe detection and implementation issues.
- Fix: crash when adding shortcut folder to applications that didn't already have desktop9 in the manifest. Similar potential crashes due to added schema extensions also eliminated.
- Fix: issue when you select a PS1 file for PsfLauncher Scripting that is not in the package. The %MsixPackageRoot% variable used to replace the path when copied into the package had a typo.
- Fix: The Automated package cleanup was removing too many files in certain cases. This has been resolved.
Version 18.104.22.168 Includes the following changes:
- TMEditX Includes all fixes from PSF v2022.04.27, v2022.04.14, and v2022.02.28 releases to increase application compatibility.
Adds support for new architecture flag in DynamicLibraryFixup
Made Timestamping of MSIX packages optional (by customer request).
Added exclusion to PowerShell processes as fixups may not be injected into it.
Added certain excluded folders to FRF by default (such as Desktop folder).
Consolidate LoadSearchOrder and ExectutionAlias found fix items.
Allow fixup dlls to contain path information (possibly generated by other tooling).
- TMMsixDeploy Added ability to inject a cmd process into a deployed package.
This is a new program added to the package in this release. If you use TMEditX to add the debug version of the PSF into a package, you can use a tool like DebugView to capture the debug port logging. This log can be tedious to read, so we now have a log reader that will organize the information and make it easier to find what you need. Just save the output from DebugView to a text file and open in this tool.
Version 22.214.171.124 Includes a slew of changes to improve application compatibility. Download 126.96.36.199 MSIX file from here.
- TMEditX Includes all fixes from PSF v2022.01.22 to increase application compatibility.
- TMEditX Includes selected fixes from upcoming PSF February release.
- TMEditX Added ability for automatic package updating, based on analysis alone or controlled with command line switches to force adding or skipping components.
TMEditX: When auto-applying fixes, do the file/reg cleanup first and re-analyze before doing the others. See TMEditX CmdLine Options (tmurgent.com)
- TMEditX Added new analysis that tracks all exe files in the package to determine both bitness and internal and/or external manifest setttigs. Added an "Advanced mode" setting
in the tool to display this detail.
- TMEditX Add detection for apps needing elevation and configuring PsfLauncher to also elevate; previously elevated processes did not get the PSF injected but now they will.
- TMEditX When both 32 and 64 components are present, always include PsfRunDll and both bitnesses of any fixup added.
- TMEditX Add new RegLegacyFixup dependent dlls to package when this fixup is added.
- TMEditX DynamicLegacyFixup now ignores NativeInterface dll files as support for files in the Virtual windows assembly cache is not needed. Now also ignoring all dlls in the SystemX86 and Systemx64 folders of the package as these will also be found without help.
- TMEditX When PsfTrace/Monitor are added, ensure all dependent dlls are also in the package.
- TMEditX Added a new "cleanup" button at the top of the analyis page. The recommended workflow now follows the order of display;
- TMEditX Fix issue with reanalyze button not updating the display.
- TMEditX Fixed scrollbar issues on Analysis and Manifest tabs.
- TMEditX When adding a RegLegacy rule for "FakeDelete", default the access field appropriately for the user.
- TMEditX Improved shortcut detection when installer used "Advertized Shortcuts". Code now maps these to applications added to the Manifest by the MMPT. Also map UserProgramFiles and Local AppData to prevent adding duplicate shortcuts.
- TMEditX Fix to handle lnk shortcuts to URL targets properly. Also fix for URL files on desktop to use StartMenuShellLauncherScriptWrapper.
- TMEditX Fix for bug that caused the analysis to only detect user environment variables in the package and miss the system ones.
- TMEditX Addressed issue where the MMPT puts ftas under the wrong manifest application. This solution is not perfect, but we no longer generate a bad package when adding missing FTAs and handlers.
- TMEditX Updated the default file/registry exclusions. Cleanup first (which will re-analyze as FRF might not be needed now), Add PSF, then other remaining fixes.
- TMEditX Added ability to remove an exclusion item in the tool settings.
- TMEditX Fix for case where vendor created an App Paths registration to a non-existent exe file. Previously we want to add manifest support for it; now this situation is detected and ignored.
- TMEditX Fix for when a new exclusion is requested to be added to the exclusing list from the c.Files or c.Reg tabs. The change was not being stored.
- TMEditX Fix issue in applying registry cleanup.
- TMEditX Fix to remove the file from the package when requested in c.Files tab.
- TMEditX Add the word "bytes" to the size field on c.Files tab.
- TMEditX Add escape characters around command line arguments for FTA Shell integrations in manifest.
- TMEditX Fix that allows you to open a second package without closing the tool (the existing page is cleared out).
- TMEditX Add description to known MakeMSIX error codes when package creation fails.
- TMEditX Added work-around for app that vendor shortcut set working directory to the user's desktop folder, causing an access denied when the app tries to open the virtual folder with full access rights. The app was only doing this as a default folder it displays. Workaround now points to the real desktop, even if there is a virtual one.
- TMEditX If we encounter a bad individual file when extracting files from the package (when opening), ignore just that one file and remove it from the ingredients list.
Version 188.8.131.52 Download 184.108.40.206 MSIX file from here.
- TMEditX Fix GUI on Analysis page when large number of PSF changes are detected; scroll bar did not activate.
- TMEditX Small schema fix
- TMEditX Fix associated with firewall element in manifest.
- TMEditX: Updated PSF to TMurgent Branch 2021.11.24 release. This corrects additional problems. See PSF Update 2021.11.24 Now Released – Confessions of a Guru (tmurgent.com) for details.
- TMEditX: Also includes PSF fixes in the TMurgent Branch from 2021.11.02. See New in PSF 2021.11.02 Release! – Confessions of a Guru (tmurgent.com) for additional changes new since version 1.7 of this tool.
- TMEditX: Added support for new desktop9 schema (Improved Context Menu and Drag/Drop Handler support) Must have MaxTested at 10.0.21300.0 or greater.
TMEditX: Improvements to RegLegacyFixup default configuration to fix most issues by default.
TMEditX: Added ability to add folders.
TMEditX: Added ability to modify the target device depencies for MinVersion and MaxTestedVersions.
TMEditX: Added ability to fully edit the Json. No syntax checking is provided, however.
TMEditX: Updated Analysis tab to add a "package cleanup" button that will clean up unnecessary file/registry and then re-run the analysis.
TmMsixDeploy: Added ability to run TMEditX Automatic fixups from right-click menu on a package.
Video of using V1.8 (5 min): TMEditX v1.8
- TMEditX: Updated PSF to TMurgent Branch 2021.09.26 release. This corrects many problems. See New home for the PSF: 2021 Sept – Confessions of a Guru (tmurgent.com) for details.
- TMEditX: Always add both 32 and 64-bit PSF components and bring back PsfRunDllxx.exe to ensure PSF may be applied to packages containing both 32 and 64 bit components.
- TMEditX: Added cmd line option capabilities. You may now automatically analyze, apply the PSF, save, and sign your packages from a script. See TMEditX CmdLine Options for details..
- TMEditX: Fix Issue that prevented removal of files on the v.Files tab.
- TMEditX: Fix issue in applying the WaitForDebugger fixup.
- TMEditX: Removed some older options that are no longer applicable to simplify the UI.
- Both: Added Windows 11 styling
- TmEditX: Add support for save as CIM (requires 21H1 OS).
- TmMsixDeploy : Added support for working with Bundles
- TmMsixDeploy : Added support for URL replacement in AppInstaller Files
- TmMsixDeploy : Added support for mounting CIM (requires 21H2 OS).
|NOTE: Due to limitations imposed by Microsoft, as our Code signing certificate used previously expired the package lineage will be broken. For this release, you must uninstall the old version and install the new.|
- TmMsixDeploy : Added full support for AppInstaller files and installed AppInstallers. Also now supporting updater settings.
- TmMsixDeploy : Added full support for Shared Package Container files and installs.
- TmMsixDeploy : Added support for signature validation (whether your system has the cert installed).
- TmMsixDeploy : Added compression ratios to the package UNC display.
- TmMsixDeploy : Reorganized Package UNC display.
- TmMsixDeploy : Fix for Dark Mode when creating Shared Package Containers and selecting files.
- TmMsixDeploy : Update AppInstaller format for 2008 schema.
- TMEditX: Added analysis and support for applications with Event Manifest files to Migrate the registration into the AppXManifest file.
- TMEditX: Added analysis and support for applications that have firewall rules set. Note: There is a bug in the Microsoft MSIX Packaging Tool that is currently causing the original installer registrations to be filtered out of the package prior to saving the package. This feature will only light up once Microsoft resolves this issue.
- TMEditX: Added support for Windows Applications in Dark Mode.
- TMEditX: General cleanup of the user interface and improvement in graphics.
- TmMsixDeploy: Creation of Package, AppInstaller, and SharedPackageContainer support. This tool previously was a placeholder for future functionality and now the future is here. Use this app to find your packages and associated files on the share, then work with them via right-click in this tool to edit/install/remove.
- Adjusted the way trial mode works to overcome issue with vendor software running inside the MSIX container. Who knew MSIX would have compatibility issues? The trial is no longer capped at 30 days, however randomly functionality is disabled to let you test the full features yet incentivize you to eventually buy.
- Overcame MSIX interference with Event logging. The tool now uses it's own event logs, including a new debug log that may be enabled.
- Added new fixup that detects the presence of Event Trace for Windows (ETW) Manifest files. The potential fixup creates all the necessary additions to the AppXManifest to support the app use of ETW, however will be silently ignored by AppInstaller until the support is added there. It doesn't seem like the support made it to 21H1, so maybe 21H2. (Note: TMEditX works around this using code changes).
- Improved package graphics.
- Rename MsixDeploy to TMMsixDeploy so that they appear together in the start menu. This app is mostly a placeholder for future functionality but displays information on package installations.
- Fix in TMMsixDeploy to detect when Microsoft incorrectly states time to install.
- TMMsixDeploy now supports dark mode (not in TMEditX yet).
Download here: TMEditX 220.127.116.11.
Version 18.104.22.168: Download here: TMEditX 22.214.171.124.
Version 126.96.36.199: Download here: TMEditX 188.8.131.52.
Version 184.108.40.206: Download here: TMEditX 220.127.116.11.
Version 18.104.22.168: Download here: TMEditX 22.214.171.124.
Version 126.96.36.199: Download here: TMEditX 188.8.131.52.
Version 184.108.40.206: Download here: TMEditX 220.127.116.11.
Version 18.104.22.168: Download here: TMEditX 22.214.171.124.
Version 126.96.36.199: Download here: TMEditX 188.8.131.52.
Version 184.108.40.206: Download here: TMEditX 220.127.116.11.
Version 18.104.22.168: Download here: TMEditX 22.214.171.124.
Version 126.96.36.199: Download here: TMEditX 188.8.131.52.