CURRENTLY, I do not have a plan to reopen 5.0.1 to add the fix there, but it shouldn't be needed there anyway as the bug was introduced when adding in the new functionality of 5.1.
I am not back-testing the new AppV_Manage releases against older clients, but for the most part my expectation is that 5.1.5 should work reasonably well in 5.0 SP2 clients..The primary changes are around the connection group systax, which I have support for, and in the "Runtime analyzer" (App button on DebugPackages tab), which depends on the changed client debug event logs which were overhauled in 5.1. The new runtime analyzer should be usable on older clients, but if you are having enough trouble with an app that you need to use the runtime analyzer, you probably want the older version of AppV_Manage on older App-V clients.
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Kahuna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StirlingSteve
From your compatibility chart, I see that v188.8.131.52 was the last version of AppV_Manage to work with App-V Client v5.0 SP3 or below. Will you be releasing an update to this for those of us whose estates are lagging behind and still haven't upgraded to 5.1 yet?
I don't think I've explained my problem well enough. Pictures are reported to be worth a thousand words though so let me try 4000 words-worth instead
Here's the config screen of my setup.
You can see I'm running AppV_Manage v184.108.40.206 with App-V Client v5.0 SP2 HF4. You can also see I have disabled the new connection group format which as I understand it is correct for my client version because it pre-dates the CG format change in SP3.
Here's what happens when I try to create a CG.
Here I have two packages published and their Package and Version IDs are present and correct in the top pane. The problem is that for whatever reason, the Version IDs are not being retained when the packages are added to the CG. Note the VersionId column in the lower pane is blank.
Clicking "Create Group" at this point creates the XML OK but because the Version IDs are blank, we get this:
Here's what the resultant XML looks like in the flesh (word-wrapped purely to fit it all in the screengrab):
Note the blank section highlighted in red. I can confirm that populating these entries manually and re-running the relevant Powershell commands against the fixed XML file creates a CG perfectly so it is just the absence of the Version IDs that is the problem.
I've tried this with AppV_Manage v4.0, v220.127.116.11, v18.104.22.168 and v22.214.171.124 and it persists so I'm a bit confused. Am I still doing something wrong here or is this a genuine bug?
OK. So I'm back home and re-read the initial email.
Microsoft changed the connection group format in 5.0 SP3 (5.0.10107), adding in support for optional packages and optional package versions. This change also included a mandatory change in the xml header of the connection group file.
Therefore, you must not use the checkbox for the new format on clients prior to SP3 (which includes the 5.0 SP2 HF4 that you mentioned), and you must use the checkbox when working with any newer client.
I believe that unchecking the checkbox on the tool config tab (and applying the change) would allow the CG to work on 5.0 through 5.0 SP2 based clients. Conversely, checking the checkbox should be done on SP3 and above builds.
This does not match what you initially wrote, and I would ask that you verify the issue now that you understand the above.